Sunday, December 07, 2008

The end of a manic week

This week started with a full days rehearsal of the remaining material for the second half of the album I have been recording with the "Burn out Mama"group. A very intense and focused day indeed.This was followed by the first day of recording on Tuesday.
We managed to finish the day ahead of schedule which put everyone in a very good mood for the rest of the week..
Wednesday saw me go first to the Roundhouse to teach a percussion class followed by another 10 hours recording with "BOM".We then finished all the remaining tracks ready for the start of mixing the album tracks the next day.
Thursday we changed over to the mix studio at Livingston studios and started the mixing process plus tidying up of some loops that we have been editing...I then went over to the Roundhouse in the afternoon to set up that nights show with the Jazz Alive students.. Again both myself and Soweto compered the show..There were other performers and poets from the Roundhouse courses plus the amazing Drummer Tony Marsh conducting a piece with the A.S.A.P ensemble who are based at the Roundhouse.A really positive night with some good feedback which is pointing to a regular monthly show in the Theatre there.
Friday morning saw me back at Livingston studios while the band and engineer Mike Buddy listened intently to tracks highlighting stuff that needed closer inspection etc..I then left in the Afternoon for the Jazz Cafe to do soundcheckwith Beggar & Co.That nights show had Some nice music plus some classic soul tracks that had the crowd funking merrily homewards after a 2 1/2 hour set..
Saturday morning saw me driving across town for the Jazz Alive recording session in Peckham.The idea is to record a couple of tracks that show a good representation of the kind
of work they had been doing during the 3 month course it really was an early start for all concerned that unfotunately was held up by some technical issues.This meant us really having to compromise on the quality of the audio sound committed to CD in order to keep within the time constraints of the studio booking..A good insightful lesson for the students into the things that can go wrong in the creative process? Followed by a quick drive to the Jazz Cafe for soundcheck and a run through with Drummer FrankTontoh who was depping for the regular drummer.The gig was one of the best we've done with a full house enjoying a band seriously funking for fun!


Steve Lawson said...

Orphy, great to see you playing so much! Can't wait to get to listen to you play soon.

And fab to see you blogging again - excellent stuff! :)


Anonymous said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.